Questions to Ask Your Doctor about Medications
The following questions can help you talk to your physician about your medications. Print out or write down these questions and take them with you to your appointment. Taking notes can help you remember your physician’s response when you get home.
1. Why do I need this medication?
2. Is this medication safe for me?
3. How will I know if the medication is working?
4. Do I have to watch what I eat or drink while I’m on this medication?
5. What if I forget a dose? Do I double up next time or just take it when I remember?
6. How many doses can I miss without letting you know?
7. What side effects should I report immediately and which ones can wait until my next appointment?
8. How soon will this medication start to work? What if I don’t notice any difference?
9. Do I need follow-up lab work to see if the medicine is working?
10. How long will I have to take this medication?
Please print this list of questions here. Take them with you to the doctor and share them with friends and loved ones when you are encouraging them to see their doctors.