• If You Are Referred to a Cardiac Surgeon

    Type Size

    If your cardiologist recommends that your condition may best be treated by surgery, you will be referred to a cardiac surgeon (also called a cardiothoracic surgeon). A cardiac surgeon specializes in disorders of the heart, lungs, esophagus, and chest.  Becoming a cardiac surgeon requires four years of medical school, a five-year residency in general surgery, and two additional years of training in cardiovascular and thoracic surgery. Cardiovascular patients are referred to these surgeons for procedures such as bypass surgery, valve surgery and the correction of structural defects of the heart.