Revisions Offered for CMS' Electronic Health Record Incentive Program
May 13, 2010
SCAI recently expressed its concerns over CMS' Electronic Health Record Incentive Program to Department of Health and Human Services Secretary Kathleen Sebelius.
in a letter sent to Sebelius on May 3 the Society, and a coalition of over 50 other associations representing the health care spectrum, point out that while endorsing the adoption and use of EHRs there are currently several barriers to promoting the widespread adoption of health information technology including:
- Greater flexibility in meeting meaningful use;
- More time to achieve meaningful use;
- Small physician practice representation on the Health IT Policy Committee;
- A feedback loop on program performance;
- A focus on clinical functions;
- A less restrictive definition of a hospital;
- Less burdensome reporting requirements;
- Greater attention to operational issues; and
- Harmonizing the Medicaid and Medicare EHR incentive programs.
Read the Letter to Secretary Sebelius